Monday, September 21, 2009

korivi karam (ripe red chilly pickle)


I have always loved this Andhra pickle ever since I tasted it in my Aunt's place. So I had to try it when I saw red ripe chillies interspersed with the green ones in the Indian grocery store. So I spent quite some time picking out a pound of just the red ones. After reading a few recipes here and here, this is what worked for me. It was quite easy to make and the most painstaking task was wiping the washed chillies to ensure that they are dry.

ripe red chillies (the slightly long ones would be less spicy) - 1 pound
tamarind (wet Indian variety) - .5 pounds
salt - .25 pounds or to taste
fenugreek powder - 2 tsp
asafoetida - 1/ a tsp
gingelly (sesame) oil - 1/2 a cup (approximately)

Wash and dry the chillies (by drying out in the sun or wiping each one of them). Remove the stems and add to a blender/mixer. Grind with tamarind and salt without adding water. (Add oil if needed). Marinate for 3 days before adding fenugreek powder and heated sesame oil with asafoetida. Mix well and let it stand for a week or 2 before the spice level tones down and it is ready for consumption. Stir with a ladle occasionally.Will store well for a really long time.
Goes well with curd rice (of course) and idlis (add sesame oil to it to combat the heat). Enjoy if you are sucker for spice and heat!

Note: Only RIPE chillies work well for this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to know how you can keep this pickle without getting spoilt.I had made this fresh and within one day it got spoilt

    ReplyDelete