Monday, June 13, 2011

Vaatli Daal (Channa Daal/ Bengal Gram Daal)

Ever since my diabetes screening scare, I have been paying close attention to the amount of carbs in my diet. Being a vegetarian, I end up eating more carbs that I should be eating while not getting enough protein. I also did some reading up on Glycemic index, glycemic load etc. Although I did not test positive for diabetes, I know I better watch out because it runs in the family.

One ingredient that seems to work very well for diabetics is channa daal/ bengal gram daal (http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html).

I used to wonder why people up north (India) eat missi roti (Roti made with wheat flour + channa flour) when they were trying to control their glucose levels. Now I know.


Since I am supposed to be eating a number of small snack through out the day, while still getting my dose of protein, some carbs etc, this recipe I got from Amrutha came to mind. It's a popular Maharashtrian dish mostly prepared on the last day of Ganapati. Its quick, very tasty, and surprisingly filling.

Here is the recipe.

- 1 cup of channa daal soaked overnight.
- 1 green chilli chopped(or more if you like it spicy)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Cilantro - 2 tbsp chopped
- Curry Leaves 5-10
- 1/2 tsp haldi
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 pinch asefoetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp grated fresh/frozen coconut

- Process the soaked channa daal in a chopper/ food processor into a coarse crumbly meal without using any water. blenders/grinders do a poor job. they end up making a paste out of some of the daal while leaving the rest un touched. I rely on my little onion chopper to do this.
- Heat oil in a pan, add asefoetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilli, saute for half a minute. Add the channa daal to the pan, add haldi and salt.
- Stir for a min. Add 1/4th cup of water, cover the pan, and let it cook over low heat for 15-20 mins. Check occasionally to see if the daal is cooked. Add more water if needed.
- Once the daal is cooked, garnish with cilantro and lemon juice.
Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment