Sunday, November 8, 2009

Black Bean burger patties

With the big "3" "0" lurking around the corner, I am finally beginning to realize that my body ain't what it used to be. It used to be this wonderful calorie cruncher. Dump a yummy fried potato cutlet in and its gone. But as years went by, more and more of that cutlet found its ways to places I'd rather have hidden from it. I saw the jean sizes go higher and higher. But no more!

But, I refuse to eat tasteless healthy food. I will beat the system. Here is one of my earliest attempts at something healthy and very tasty. I prefer this to any of the veggie burger patties out there.

For 4 patties you'll need:

1 can black beans (or soak black beans and cook)
1/2 an onion chopped fine
cilantro chopped fine
1/2 bell pepper chopped fine
1 chilli/serrano pepper chopped fine
salt to taste
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp flour/atta
Add cheese (optional, I don't)

Preheat oven to 450F. Drain the black beans. Mash and add rest of the listed ingredients. Divide into four parts. Shape each part into a patty. Dip each patty into a bowl full of bread crumbs until the patty is well coated. Place patties on a greased cookie sheet. Spray with oil. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip and make for 15 more minutes. Done!

I usually add some roasted mushrooms, sliced tomato, chopped lettuce, and ketchup to the burger.Jalapeno peppers and pickles will taste pretty good too. I serve it with a side of roasted sweet potato (recipe coming soon).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment