Thursday, November 19, 2009

Quinoa Patties

Patties are my new favorite thing to eat! The possibilities are endless. You can eat them with a sandwich, make a burger, serve as a side with pasta, serve over a salad, or just gobble up with ketchup! Yummy!

This is my latest effort to include Quinoa in our diet. Its is a complete protien, very healthy etc etc etc. I am sure you can get all the good qualities of this super grain online. So let me jump straight to the recipe

For about 8 patties you'll need:
1 cup white/red uncooked quinoa
2 cups water/stock/water + buillion to cook the quinoa
1 big potato
Lots of cilantro
2 Green chillis finely chopped
Cumin powder
chilli powder
or just use a mexican Chilli powder
Salt to taste
Oil

Wash the quinoa well. Bring it to a boil with 2 cups of water. I use stock or add a bullion cube into the water to give it more flavor. Once the water is bubbling through the quinoa, lower the heat , cover the pot and cook for another 10 mins or so. Turn the heat off and let it sit for 5 mins or so.

Meanwhile microwave/boil the potato.

Mix the potato and quinoa and mash the two togeather. Add spices, cilantro, salt. You can get very creative here. Add vegetables, chopped walnuts, zucchini goes especially well. Or add spinach, beans. The list is endless.

Divide into 8 parts. Shape each part. Coat with breadcrumbs. Roast it on a skillet with a tsp or oil on each side. You can do with even lesser.

The quinoa cooks into a nice crunchy golden brown crust.

Thats it, patties done!

I also tried patties with quinoa, black beans and chopped zuccnini. Very good!

1 comment:

  1. Ekta,
    I made them today for dinner. It is simple and tastes amazing. Thanks for putting up this recipe.
    I tried adding some lemon juice on top once it is cooked. I didn't coat it with bread crumbs... Will try that next time I make them.

    ReplyDelete